The Manuscript Workshop Via Video Conferencing
Do you have a manuscript you’ve wanted to finish? Are you stuck or looking for feedback?
Finally, get the help you need to finish that novel, short story collection, memoir, play, or screenplay.
The Manuscript Workshop is an intensive course designed to help you develop and complete your project. Small group size ensures your specific needs are addressed. Ask for the kind of feedback you want, and get it: character development, story planning, voice, POV, and more. Currently Via Video Conferencing.
- Personalized Instruction and support
- Thoughtful feedback from peers and the instructor
- Increased accountability to meet deadlines
Participants report writing twice as much as they did when writing alone.
How does it work?
The Manuscript Workshop takes you out of the isolation of facing your project alone. You’ll have the support of a small group of dedicated writers and the facilitator to coach you through the writing process. Some writers begin with only a few chapters completed and need help with planning, voice, POV, character development, and plot. Others arrive with a nearly finished manuscript and need help revising and editing. Each week the group reads and discusses two writers’ manuscripts. Each writer gets in-depth feedback that is constructive, fair, and useful. As a result, you’ll go home with more confidence about which steps to take next to achieve your goals.
What makes it different than other workshops?
Due to the small group size of 6-9, each writer has the opportunity to submit work once every four to five weeks.
Current Projects include:
- A funny and informative memoir
- Character-driven novels in several different genres, including science-fiction
When does it meet?
- 6 people plus the instructor = Three Thursdays per month from 7-10 PM
- Note: The Summer Session is limited to 6 people plus the instructor
- Seeking applicants for Summer 2020 — July, and August
- Summer 2020 Dates — July 2, 16, and 23; August 6, 13, 20
- Fall/Winter/Spring: 7 people plus the instructor = Every Thursday from 7-10 PM
- Fall/Winter/Spring: 8 people plus the facilitator = Every Thursday from 7-10 PM
- Please inquire if you want to attend beginning in the fall of 2020
What is the cost?
The Summer 2020 workshop, which meets for six nights, costs $480.00
Where does it meet?
COVID-19 – We are currently meeting via Zoom Video Conferencing
After COVID-19: The Resiliency Center, Flourtown, PA (Downstairs)
Is the Manuscript Workshop right for me?
The workshop has the highest impact on those who have already written at least a few chapters. Preference for admission is given to writers who have already attended one Philadelphia Writers’ Workshop. If you haven’t taken a workshop, have a discussion about your project with the facilitator, Rachel Kobin. After you’ve spoken with her, and mutually decided the workshop would suit you, she will ask you to send her a writing sample. This ensures everyone benefits from their experience in the workshop. You can also read firsthand accounts of writers’ experiences.
Click the button below to ask Rachel to call you. Please give her a few times that tend to be good for you.