Insightful editing of fiction, nonfiction, and screenplays
I provide the feedback you need to make your manuscript sing. I look for what’s already strong, what must stay intact as you intended in your own voice. I also point out what isn’t working and offer techniques for improvement. I know how hard it can be to let someone else read the manuscript to which you’ve devoted so much time and energy. I show you specifically where the writing or structure isn’t as strong as it could be, but my objective is for you to feel inspired to keep going.
Sample projects, past & present
- Edited the second middle-grade novel one of the participants in the Tuesday night workshop in Flourtown wrote. An agent expressed interest in his work but requested changes. He asked me to help him determine how to respond. Was it one person’s opinion, or would an extensive rewrite make sense? (He got a two-book deal.)
- A writer struggling with revision asked me to compare three rewrites of a specific section of his novel to determine which one was headed in the right direction.
- Edited a full-length memoir prior to self-publishing.
- Scene-by-scene, line-by-line assistance as a client completes his screenplay.
- Assisting someone whose success at work depends on improving the quality of his memos and reports.
Coaching services for writers and non-writers
My strength lies in helping you tap into your innate creativity and playfulness. I have ten years of experience leading creative writing workshops. Many of my students meet with me privately to take advantage of my coaching services, and many of them have not only finished their work but have been published. I have had success coaching writers and non-writers overcome blocks quickly.
Overcome writer’s block and finish your project
I provide compassionate coaching services to help you start or finish fiction, nonfiction, a collection of stories or essays, a screenplay, or academic writing, and corporate communications.
How it works
Fit is very important when working with an editor or coach. No two people are alike, so I would design my approach specifically for you. Therefore the first step is to have a no-cost, fifteen-minute to half-hour phone conversation to discuss your needs and how we would work together. Once we start, I am available via telephone, videoconferencing, and if you’re local to Philadelphia, for an additional travel fee, in person.
I do not want to string you along and keep charging you if you do not see results. In one instance, I was able to help a graduate student finish her master’s thesis after years of stalling in only one phone session. For others, it has taken longer. It’s important to me that we establish a professional relationship based on trust so that you feel good about coming back whenever you need help.
I know, contact forms can seem annoying, but the form helps me keep track of inquiries and ensures I get back to you promptly.
Contact Me for More Information
Please complete the quick form below to discuss your project.